The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Before I launch into a rant about Mockingjay, I will first tingle your spidey senses with the brilliance of the first two books.
I first stumbled upon The Hunger Games when it was released. I read the teaser on a website and knew it was going on my "To Read" list on Shelfari.

However, I didn't get an opportunity to read it until about this time last year. I walked into my school's library - urm, media center, and there it was - a shiny, new hardcover copy of The Hunger Games! True, I had to wait an entire year to gain access to it, but once it was safe in my hands, I devoured it faster than I'd ever read any book in my life.

Cover: The cover shows the mockingjay pin that Katniss receives as a gift from Madge before she leaves for the Hunger Games. It's not a very impressive cover, but it does have a symbolic touch to it.

Story: The Hunger Games follows 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives with her mother and little sister, Prim, in the Seam. The Seam is akin to the Bronx, in a country called Panem. Panem is made up of 12 Districts that surround the luxurious Capitol. There once were 13, but after a rebellion, it was destroyed beyond repair and now, to remind the districts that the Capitol is in control, 24 tributes (two from every district) is sent every year to fight to the death on live television.

When Prim's name is called, Katniss doesn't think twice about stepping up to save her sister. Before she even knows what's happening, she's shuttled off to the Capitol with the warm-hearted baker's boy, Peeta (named after a type of bread, punny eh?) and their drunk, slurring mentor (a former victor.)

Review: The Hunger Games is an exciting, edge-of-your-seat novel, and has a little something for everyone: it is a thriller, a romance, and full of action.

Suzanne Collins is a descriptive, talented writer who captures the reader's attention. The author has a talent that is hard to come by these days, when bland, unimaginative authors such as Stephanie Meyer are considered #1. Collins explores the themes of freedom, punishment, dystopia, and the topic of self-preservation, and what people will do to survive.

The Hunger Games is reminiscent of another great series: The Giver Trilogy, which also explores utopian and dystopian societies.

When deciding to pick up this book (and you should!) make sure it's a day where you have nothing else to do, because you won't be able to put it down until you finish it!

And may the odds be ever in your favor!

0 comments:

Post a Comment