Ellen Hopkins - Joseph Beth Booksellers, September 28


It was 7:02 when Ellen Hopkins took the stage, greeted by applause and shouting girls who felt two minutes was too long.

I was one of them. :)

Ellen Hopkins is very down-home and nice in person. You can immediately tell that she could be angry and annoyed by her hardships, instead she just makes the choice to change peoples' lives. She's definitely an author that you'd want to call "Mrs. Hopkins" instead of by her first and last name.

The first topic of the evening was how a town in Oklahoma wants to prevent her from talking at schools in the area. The "grown-ups" want to ban her books because of the sexual content/drug addiction contained within the binding.

This made me very angry, seeing as Ellen Hopkins is pretty much the sweetest woman you will ever meet, and she's just trying to help people with her novels. They all contain little afterwords in the back that all but beg you to get help if you are addicted to drugs/thinking of suicide/a teenage prostitute.

After the short little explanation, she gave a brief summary of her newest book, Tricks (which I have already reviewed.) She took about a half hour of questions, and by then the crowd was worn out.

Most of the questions were things I already knew (because I stalk really like Ellen Hopkins.)

Is Crank really about your daughter?

What books do you have planned for the near future?

How did you come up with the idea for _____?

And the like.

By the time we got to the signing, I was super-excited. I was also in the B Section, so I got to get my book signed without waiting too long.
ACK! I also got a picture!

Before I left, I asked one last question that Tricks-virgin ears would not have wanted to overhear. And I got the ANSWER! :DDDD

When I walked away and opened my book, I noticed she wrote "Dream!" on the inside.

So Ellen Hopkins basically made my day. :) If you ever notice she's coming to do an event in your town or somewhere near, go!!

Seacrest, uhrm, Lindsey, out!

P.S. I'm really sorry this is a day late and I haven't reviewed anything lately. Don't worry - I'm still alive and plan to review a lot of books very soon. Right now, though, I'm working hard on midterms before Fall Break. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment